First off, I never would have come to such great success (yes, I am standing on my homemade cardboard pedestal holding a blue ribbon), with my chocolate cupcakes if not for this recipe. I am forever indebted to Stef, from the Cupcake Project. I initially altered her recipe to be dairy free and refined sugar free. A few days later, I altered it a little more, you know, tinkling on a fire hydrant kind of thing. It's mine now. :)
If you want to be like me (on a pedestal), you're going to need these things:
- 1 oven preheated to 375 degrees
- 2 cupcake pans
- 2 3/4 cups garbanzo bean flour, sifted twice
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted with the garbanzo flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or more if you like it salty.
- 1 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk fat. (refrigerate can of coconut milk overnight, and the fat will rise to the top. Open can from top (obvi) and dig the fatty cream out with care.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup hot water
Now that you have gathered these things, pat yourself on the back, because you're already half way to success.
Facebook update something about that right now. --------- Okay, you're back! Here we go!
- Mix the dry and sifted ingredients in a big bowl. All of them. Just do it. Well, not the oven or the pans. Just the dry food. Okay.
- Mix the wet ingredients (but only half the hot water) in a smaller or equal sized bowl.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Keep stirring as though your life depends on it.
- If necessary, add the last half cup of hot water.
- Add up to 1 cup of dark chocolate chips. Stir some more.
Fill up your cupcake cups halfway. Place your trays in the oven and wait about 20 or 25 minutes. You can use the old toothpick trick to make sure their finished. The tops will be firm like the glutinous cake you remember from childhood.
When they're ready, and not a single moment sooner, eat your heart out! I will post my coconut icing recipe very soon. Until then, know that coconut bliss will be a great topper.
Thanks for eating, make great cupcakes! :)